[freeroleplay] Re: Hosted servers (was Re: Moutain Dwarves and Licenses)

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FRPGC <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 10:33:03 +0100

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 12:35, Samuel Penn wrote:
> Ricardo Gladwell said:
> > I can probably think of a hundred better uses for the money, such as
> > purchasing our own hosted server :)
>
> So, what is it you want a hosted server for? You seem to have
> got quite interested in this recently :-)
>
> How is www.freeroleplay.org currently hosted? You at least
> seem to be able to run PHP on it, which was more than I was
> ever able to do at my bifrost site. :-(

Don't worry, it wasn't a subtle (or unsubtle) dig at you :) The problem
is that I am working on the design for Jexus, which has now become a
document project management system a la Sourceforge.net.  Unfortunately,
my training is in Java web development and most of the advanced features
(e.g. WebDAV) are not properly supported by PHP currently.

Currently, I'm hosting Freeroleplay.org through UKLinux.net, although I
have to admit that I'm not particularly enamoured with their service. I
frequently get grumpy, terse emails through and there's little support.
Considering its supposed to be a charitable ISP supporting open source
development, it's not particularly cheap either.

So, at some point I'll need somewhere to host it that's can have a
Servlet engine, preferably Tomcat with Apache. Potentially, I may be
swapping ISPs to Zen soon so I may be able to host sites myself if I get
my own static IP address which would be ideal.

Anyway, more on the new Jexus concept soon :)

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community