[freeroleplay] Re: Game mechanics copyright status on debian-legal

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:25:45 +0100

Samuel Penn wrote:

Funny that... guess which company it was that got sued by Palladium?
(actually, the one I'm thinking of wasn't about D&D, but WotC's first
product was a generic gaming resource (about playing gods I think)
which included Palladium stats).

I wonder if the WotC legal department appreciates the irony. I would be interested to read the preliminary arguments in their defence and compare them to the statements coming out of them these days ;)

According to the Palladium FAQ[1], it was a 'friendly lawsuit'.

LOL You really couldn't make it up!

From the FAQ it sounds like the flaming Siembieda got was actually sparked by angry fans who (rightly) felt that writing conversion rules was no bad thing, not "crazed WotC fanatics" as the FAQ claims. I'm no fan of WotC but I certainly would've written to Siembieda about this.

Kind regards...

--