[freeroleplay] Re: Game mechanics copyright status on debian-legal

  • From: "Jerry Stratton" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:02:25 -0700 (PDT)

> Jerry Stratton wrote:
> That is interesting, please tell us more. What sort of precedents are
> there and what what kind of information did they not want public?

That the person they bought it from did not invent it, and that not only
was the game itself played regularly in folk versions, the name itself
(Monopoly) had been in use in folk games before their version came out.

Some of this is on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_(game)

I'd like to see the court case, but http://www.law.cornell.edu/ only goes
back to 1990.

I'll see what I can write about game rules and copyright later.

Jerry
--
http://www.ItIsntMurder.com/
"Give a man a fish, and you've fed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and