[freeroleplay] Re: Free PRG around the world

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <ax0n@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Nana Nehrbass <nana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:11:39 +0000

Dear Nana,

Thank for your interest in the Free Roleplaying Community. I'd be more
than happy to supply you with the information you request for your
publication.

The Free Roleplaying Community
------------------------------

The Free Roleplaying Community, or FRPGC, is a group of gamers,
roleplayers and game designers dedicated to producing free content for
roleplaying games. We support the freedoms of speech, press, and
association and, in particular, the right to create roleplaying material
unimpeded by private monopolies. We believe that all material for
roleplaying games, particular the rule systems and game mechanics,
should be freely and openly shared with the whole roleplaying community.

The FRPGC was started mainly as a response to the "open gaming" movement
popularised by the d20 system. The open gaming movement was supposed to
be based upon the open source movement. However, many fel that the
official license of the movement, the OGL[1], didn't go far enough and
barely matched the loose definition of open source as defined by the
OSI[2]. What many of us wanted to see was a version of the Free Software
Foundation[3] (FSF) for roleplaying game content.

The FRPGC is heavily inspired by the FSF. The GNU Public License[4] is
our official 'content' license. However, there are differences between
the two organisations. Primarily, the FSF does not believe that the
freedoms it applies to software should also be applied to documents and
written works. It is for this reason the FRPGC rejects the FSF's content
license, the GNU Free Documentation License, in favor of the GPL.

We are still a relatively new organistion. At the moment we merely
support and link to existing free content games and systems. We are
looking to develop our own free content roleplaying system, FRINGE[5].
Eventually, we'd like to have the resources and numbers to mount a
sustained campaign to advocate free content.

We'd certainly be interested in starting non-English chapters of our
organisation in other countries so if anyone is interested in creating a
German-language version of the FRPGC please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community
http://www.freeroleplay.org/
president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Footnotes:

[1] http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/ogl.html
Full text of the Open Gaming License.

[2] http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition_plain.html
The Open Source Definition as defnied by the official open source body,
the Open Source Initiative.

[3] http://www.fsf.org/
Free Software Foundation, home of the GNU project.

[4]http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
The GNU General Public License, our official content license.

[5]http://www.freeroleplay.org/fringe/

I apologise in advance that I couldn't write this in German.
Unfortunately, I believe we only have English-speaking members so far.

If you could let us know if you intend to use the above information in
your magaznie and how a non-German national could buy a copy, I would be
most grateful. :)

Kinds regards...