[freeroleplay] FRPGC Freedoms and Licensing Issues

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <ax0n@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FRINGE <forge-main@xxxxxxxxxx>,Free Roleplaying Community <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:03:00 +0000

Hi All,

Happy New Year All! Hope you all had a good time over the holidays :)

I'd like to use this opportunity to start the ball rolling on several
topics. I'd really like to see the FRPGC take-off this year. So without
further ado:

FRINGE
------

I'd like see a final, first edition of FRINGE Basics published by the
end of the year, along with a basic version of FRINGE Fantasy. With this
in mind I will be publishing a release calendar and a 0.1 version in the
very near future. Afterward I will be looking to initiate some play
testing groups to test the FRINGE rules and help with the overall
development.

Licenses
---------

I would like to resolve the issue of licensing ASAP. With this in mind
it is my intention to switch to the GPL as our official content license.
This is done for a number of reasons: foremost, the issue with Invariant
Sections, but also because the FDL is GPL-incompatible and any rules we
publish would have to be re-license under the GPL.

This will probably not affect anyone else outside the FRPGC and we will
continue to link to and support projects published under the FDL.
Unfortunately, FDL-published documents that use Invariant Sections
cannot be considered 'free' by our standards.

I've begun to notice that many of the licenses the FSF considers to be
free do not fit our own definition of 'free content'. mainly, many 'open
content' licenses do not require that a 'modifiable' version of the
content be distributed with the content/document. Primarily, content
published under the Creative Commons Share-Alike licenses or the OPL can
be considered 'free' by our standards.

I apologise in advance to those projects this policy now excludes.

Regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community