[freeroleplay] Re: Essay on History of RPG

  • From: "Timothy S. Nelson" <wayland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FRPGC <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:38:21 +1100 (EST)

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Ricardo Gladwell wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I would like to announce that Steve Darlington, author of the History of
> Roleplaying, has kindly contributed his essay to the FRPGC. I have just
> completed 'wikifying' it and it is available here:
>
> http://www.freeroleplay.org/wiki/index.php/History%20of%20roleplaying%20games
>
> Please feel free to come along and review it, fix any errors and even
> contribute your own notes and thoughts.

        Great article.  It was good to hear what was going on when, especially
for those of us who've always been on the fringes (no pun intended!).  Also
good to get some background on the "Roleplaying = evil" take.  Now I can talk
about it more effectively.  As a Christian, there are some parts of
Roleplaying I'm less comfortable with, but that doesn't invalidate the field
(duh!).

        Nitpicks:

-       It'd be nice to have a date of publication
-       There were a couple of bits of text that looked strange (at least
        under Mozilla 1.0.2).  They said:
        "Athenian Heights"
        "The big 4"
-       There's one bit where it says "D?icemaster"

        :)

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | I am                           |