[freeroleplay] Re: Descriptive vs. Proscriptive, frpgc.org vs. freeroleplay.org

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:33:49 +0100

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 13:18 -0600, Mark Havenner wrote:
> I'm kind of getting it. I still think you may be a little too strict on the
> CC license, but at the same time I can see your point. Reading the debate
> yesterday on whether or not the CC license disallows 'hiding' the source was
> a bit over my head so I'm not sure I follow it all.

Apologies, we sometimes get quite involved in legal esoterica. I've been
thinking about creating a separate list of legal and licensing
discussion and leaving this list for general FRPGC and RPG discussion.
Thoughts gang?

> But even if we
> do things as a dual license, doesn't leaving the opportunity to use CC for
> end-users still conflict with the core values of this organization?

Not at all: to be blunt, all we care about is the part licensed as free
content. You can sell a closed copyright version if you would prefer
(you can sell GPL'd copies too, but that is another topic) so long as
you keep one version as free content.

> Since Basilicus is an ongoing project
> without a necessary end result, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I
> still need to give this more thought, because I don't want users or
> potential users to get confused.

That is the major risk with dual licensing: it can confuse downstream
users.

> I very much want to support free content, but I don't want to break my
> projects doing it...

Not at all: despite being  (or because I am) a free content advocate I
always advise people to think very carefully about re-licensing their
works and to carefully read the license before they do so. If you have
any doubts about anything, the best advice is to ask us here, or send an
email to the FSF (licensing@xxxxxxx) first. Make sure it is the right
thing for you and don't let us fanatics pressurize you :)

Kind regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community