[freeroleplay] Re: Descriptive vs. Proscriptive, frpgc.org vs. freeroleplay.org

  • From: Jamie Jensen <yarvin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:17:21 -0500

Actually, both the FSF and the OSI definitions are techinically for
the software itself.  For the FSF, as long as a piece of software
reasonably allows for unrestricted royalty-free use, modification, and
redistribution, the software is free.  So, if I receive a copy of a
BSD'd or public domain program along with the source code, that
program is free for me even if it won't be free for the next person if
I don't pass along the source.

OSI's is more legalistic, but still based more on the particular
software rather than the broad license.  Again, BSD'd and public
domain software can be open source if the source code is also
provided.

Also, if you listen to Richard Stallman's speeches, he mentions in
more than one of them that the reason he wrote the GPL was so that
software would not be free for one user but non-free for the next.

I'm definitely in favor of a more descriptive, instance-based approach
to the definition, like the FSF.

Also, I'd like to cast my vote for freeroleplay.org.  It's much
clearer and easier to remember, in my opinion.

--
J. Jensen

"Deleting a bag filled with items will now place
the items into the overflow slot. This should
correct some issues with players being unable
to enter their homes."
- EverQuest II Update News