[freeroleplay] Re: Creative Commons (was Re: WikiRPG)

  • From: "Samuel Penn" <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:00:59 -0000 (GMT)

Samuel Penn said:

> Ricardo Gladwell said:

>> I'm still interested as to whether the CC SA license is a free content
>> license. I may attempt to do some research into this.

Looking at the creative commons site, the license seems to
be more of a DIY license than something definite like the
GPL. You can pick and choose between various options, such
as whether to allow modifications, commercial use and
re-distribution.

I think (IANAL) that if you choose to allow the above three,
plus enforce 'share alike' (people must use the same license),
it becomes very GPL-like. Whether this makes it GPL compatible
or not I'm not sure.

There is also a CC-GPL option as well, so at the very least,
the GPL is compatible with the CC. Most of the possible options
of the CC are *not* GPL compatible however.

One thing I do like - it's got some meta data tags for sticking
into web pages, plus human readable and lawyer readable versions
of each version of the license (it also has this for the GPL,
Public Domain and other licenses). It also has a nifty form
for selecting the options you want:

http://creativecommons.org/license/?format=text

One thing I do like (and what got me thinking about using it in
the first place) is that there's a UK version designed with
wording for UK law. Not sure what the differences are between
US and UK laws in this regard though.

--
Sam.                                http://www.glendale.org.uk