[freeroleplay] Re: Character Generation (long)

  • From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 20:48:14 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Samuel Penn wrote:
> As I see it, there are two ways to do character generation. The first is
> where you have a single pool of points from which to build a character,
> the second is where you have multiple point pools.

I think multiple point pools is the better approach. It is way easier to
balance, as the single point pool offers too many possibilities (or
temptations) for creating munchkin characters. Also I do not really think
it reduces the possibilities for making a diverse and interesting
character.

In Generics, there are three kinds of character stats - abilities, skills
(added to abilities) and talents. I began using two pools, where you could
choose whether you wanted to 'generalize' by spending a point on an
ability or specialize by spending a point multiplied by a multiplier on a
skill. Eventually I found this to be too unbalanced, you could end up too
good in some skill, and ended up with what is essentially three pools.

  - Per