[freeroleplay] Re: Change Discussions

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:27:30 +0000

Samuel Penn wrote:
> Ricardo Gladwell said:
>>The following is a proposal for an OpenOffice.org plug-in that would
>>allow multiple users to discuss specific changes to a document through
>>standard forum software, such as PHPBB. I see it as a step towards
>>creating a collaborative, open-source document management system in
>>partnership with WebDAV.
>
> How about complex content such as tables or diagrams?

That would be a nice feature, but to start with I will attempt to focus
on textual content only: this would allow me to simply export OO.org
text to HTML and paste it into a discussion forum, many of which can
support basic HTML tags.

> Would there be information held in the forum to enable someone
> else with a copy of the original document to merge the version
> in the forum back into their document, or would it only be
> possible to merge it into the document where the request was
> originally made?

The data export to discussion forums could only ever be one-way (it will
lose style data, etc.) so re-edits suggested on the forums could never
be merged back into the original document and all new edits would have
to be made no the source document itself.

Hence, I'm hoping to include a link with any postings that will
automatically open the document at the specific paragraph that is the
focus of the thread, and I will attempt to provide the ability to send
updates from OO.org to the same thread.

> Are you going to write this?

Yes, already got started but it will be a steep learning curve to get to
grips with the OO.org API.

Kind regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell