[freeroleplay] Answers to FDL questions

  • From: Samuel Penn <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:51:01 +0100

Some time ago, I asked this list some questions to clarify the
FDL. It was suggested that I try the FSF directly, and I've now
had a response.

Questions and response included below.

[sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Mon Mar 17 16:04:16 2003]:

> Hi,
>
> I'd be grateful if you could clarify some points on the FDL
> that I'm unclear about.
>
> 1) Is the text given in "How to use this License for your documents"
>    just an example of what to include, or must this text be included?

It's just an example.

>    Would something like "Permission is granted to copy, distribute
>    and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free
>    Documentation License.", with a link to the full license, be
>    sufficient?

You should include the full text of the license with your document.
Also, specify whether there are any front or back cover texts.

> 2) The section on Transparent formats mentions XML with DTDs, but
>    does not mention XML Schemas. I assume that this is an oversight,
>    and that the FSF does not have anything against Schemas.

Yes, it's an oversight.  I'm sure it will be corrected in the next version..

> 3) The schema for my document format is currently incomplete (due
>    to lack of time), though full XSLT is available for rendering of
>    XML to HTML and PDF. Does this invalidate the license?

I don't think so, if you're distributing the document in that XML format.

> 4) I have formatted the FDL to match the style of my documents,
>    without changing the content. Does this infringe on the
>    "but changing is not allowed" clause on the FDL copyright?

No, that sort of modification is fine.

--
-Dave "Novalis" Turner
GPL Compliance Engineer