[freeroleplay] Re: Alleged Copyright Infringement and the History of RPGs

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FRPGC <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:07:43 +0100

Dear All,

Just a quick update on this issue: Mr. Fannon responded to my email
requesting evidence of copyright infringement. He replied be sending me
Microsoft Word copies of the chapters from his book, stating "the
nature, flavor, and flow of the work felt like it was my own work,
reworded".

I am preparing to run some analysis software on both documents to
determine more precisely if any parts of the documents are copied from
each other. I shall also be printing out and comparing both documents.

However, by Mr. Fannon's own admission, there do not appear to be any
direct copies of one document to another, only a vague suspicion that
the document "felt" as though it had been "reworded". I have, once
again, pushed back to Mr. Fannon to provide citations of direct copying
since I can't help feeling he is pushing the burden of proof onto us.

I am considering drafting a letter to Groklaw as Sam suggests. Does
anyone have any advice and/or suggestions?

Kind regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community