[freeroleplay] Re: Alleged Copyright Infringement and the History of RPGs

  • From: "Samuel Penn" <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:58:20 +0100 (BST)

Ricardo Gladwell said:

> However, Mr. Fannon's email didn't actually provide any concrete
> evidence of any copyright infringement, only the suggestion of it.
> Whilst we do not want to break the law, we cannot simply let anyone who
> suspects a work is copied from their own to dictate what we can and
> cannot publish.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

Give him time to come up with details of the alleged infringement,
and if he can't or is unwilling to within a suitable period of
time, put it back up. Not sure where the law stands on this.
Ideally, if two people claim ownership, and one has given you
the right to use it, then any legal wrangling is between the
two owners. You're using it in 'good faith'. Back in the real
world, things can be messier, and legal advice can be expensive.

Does sound very SCO-like though (maybe Groklaw would be interested,
since it involves copyright law and the GPL).

The bit that says 'contains words that are unchanged' suggests
that he thinks bits are similar, rather than the whole work.

--
Sam.                                http://www.glendale.org.uk