[freenos] great thanks for writing FreeNOS

  • From: Niek Linnenbank <nieklinnenbank@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freenos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 18:45:08 +0000

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 6:16 PM, atul chavan <atulchavan21@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hi sir,
> i have started my journey with Andrew S. Tanebaum 3rd edition book for
> understanding minix3 as suggested by you.
> sir i am not clear about one thing :
> suppose there are number of processes are ready to run i.e., they are
> at the head of the queue (as mention in tanebaum there are 16 queues
> from low to high priority).till this is ok. i am interesting in now
> ,if some ready process is picked up to run then how process will be
> get assigned to the cpu.

When the scheduler chooses a ready process to be ran on the CPU, a so
called context-switch takes place. How context switching works, is explained
in the book as well :-)

> Now there is multi-core available
> (core2duo,quadcore,etc...). then how process scheduler assign the
> selected process to run on this multi-core.

MINIX doesn't support multi-core CPU's yet, but the context-switch will take
place there too.

> is there any way to check performance of process scheduler of FreeNOS.

Currently there is no native performance benchmarking suite available,
except for the
RDTSC (Read TimeStamp Count) instruction. This will read an internal
register on the CPU which is
incremented on every clock cycle. I can really recommend you to download the
Intel manuals on the x86 architecture
to read more about RDTSC and other instructions:

http://www.google.nl/search?q=intel+32+and+64+bit+system+developers+guide&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

> sir, i have planned to install minix3 as well. i want to see how
> process scheduler of minix3 will work if i made some changes in
> scheduler code. for observing my changes is it i have to make bootable
> cd to boot os and test or any other way is there.

You do not necessarily need to make a bootable CD, but you do indeed need to
recompile the
MINIX system in /usr/src to execute any changes you make to MINIX. See the
MINIX wiki on how to do that (wiki.minix3.org)

> waiting for your reply,
> Thank You.

Anytime. If you have questions specific to MINIX, please ask on their
mailing list or IRC channel as well :-)