[freelists-users] Re: listar and no welcome message

  • From: Glauco Siliprandi <glauco@xxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 15:13:13 +0100

At 18.25 04/01/2002 -0500, you wrote:

> > But subscribers still receive subscription notification and welcome
> > message.
>
>The problem is that without establishing an admin session (through email,
>that is), the sender can't be verified as an ADMIN, so a confirmation
>ticket must be sent to the user.  If you don't want that to happen, you'll
>have to set your subscribe-mode to 'open-auto,' which will allow "any user
>to subscribe any other user."

John,

the list is already set to 'open-auto' and in fact, any user can subscribe
any other.

But I would like the subscribed user not to be notified (and not to receive
the welcome message). He/she doesn't receive a message to be confirmed (and
it's ok).

I would expect the admin-silent-subscribe option to get the result. But it
works only when the admin adds a new address using the freelists site (in
this case, the new user is silently added).

But when I subscribe a new user by mail (sent to listar), the new user
receives a subscription notification (see below) and the welcome message
(see below), even if the sender of the request is an admin.

The following is the "subscription notification" sent to the user
(glauco.siliprandi@xxxxxxxxx), by listar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
request to listar):

Subject: Subscribed to list 'vbsdb'

Body:
 >> (Subscribed to list by support@xxxxxxxxx)
 >> subscribe vbsdb glauco.siliprandi@xxxxxxxxx
You have been added to list 'vbsdb'

The following, instead, is the "welcome message" sent to the user
(glauco.siliprandi@xxxxxxxxx), by listar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
request to listar):

Subject: Welcome to list 'vbsdb'

Body:
Welcome to the VBSdb newsletter!
... <my welcome message follows>

I would expect admin-silent-subscribe to make listar check for the sender
being an admin and then avoiding both the messages.

I really hope there is a way to avoid these two messages to be sent to the
subscriber. Any way, the "subscription notification" seems to be redundant
once the "welcome message" is sent, so I hope there is at least the chance
to avoid this one.

Any help will be really appreciated :-)

Thanks in advance.