[freelists-users] Re: Using an auto-responder

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:49:14 -0700

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 04:46:19 -0700 (PDT), Sagai John Adams wrote:

> I will be out of town for 4 weeks and I want to set up my
> newsletter on "auto-pilot", while I am away. My idea is to store
> it in an auto-responder and have it sent out every week to Free
> list which then routes it to all my subscribers.
>
> I know I will have to prepare my subsequent issues in advance
> and how to use the Getresponse auto-responder
> (http://www.getresponse.com).
>
> What do I have to do to my settings in Free lists? Who has done
> recently?

I'm not familar with the auto responder but won't that require list
members to send E-mail to get a reponse from the responder?

The easiest way would be for you to appoint someone to take your place
while you are way.  Change their NOPOST attribute on Freelists to
PREAPPROVE (or whatever options make sense for your list's setup).  You
could also send out two issue in advance and two more when you return.

If you were running Linux, the answer would be trivial.  Use the "at"
command to schedule the date&time of each issue, and then "at" command
would execute the "mail" command, at the appointed time, to send out the
text file.

        -Paul