[freelists-users] Re: This weekends down time

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:09:49 -0500 (EST)

>       I was wondering if mail addressed to the list will be held during the
> down time this weekend during the ISP switch? If not, any idea what will
> happen to mail addressed to the lists? BTW, I think this is a great move
> and am anxious to see what your new pay for service is going to be.

For those of you new to FreeLists in the past week or so, this news
article might be helpful:

//www.freelists.org/archives/freelists-news/02-2002/msg00001.html

Mail will be held by the SMTP system according to RFC, or so we always
hope.  So in general, after 4 hours, a message is sent to the sender
notifying them of the delay and that the message will be retried for up to
5 days, and after 5 days, the message is deleted.

However, hardly anyone sticks to RFC these days.  Even we only wait 1 day
before deleting the message.  (Although, with the amount of mail we go
through, we don't have much of a choice.)

Since we're expecting our actual off-network time to be less than an hour
though, I suspect the "outage" won't cause many people any trouble.

John

- FreeLists Staff