[freelists-users] Re: Suspicious incoming mail to my account

  • From: Kristina Pfaff-Harris <kristina@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 09:08:48 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Steven Horst wrote:

> But it's worth knowing that things you post to what you think of as a
> private list may not be as private as you assume.
>
> Again, I don't know whether you could find Freelist-based postings in this
> way, nor whether there is any way to keep archives from being accessible by
> search engines.

Another note on this line: even if you password-protect your archives,
they may be cached in a search engine such as Google, and thus accessible
*without* the password. Anyone searching for, say, your name will be able
to come up with your archived posts to the list. (To test this, go to
http://www.google.com/ and do a search on "yourListName" and maybe your
own name.) You may contact Google to have them removed from their cache,
but until they do, your postings are public for the world to see.

Lesson 1: Unencrypted email should never be assumed to be private. Don't
ever email anything that you wouldn't want to see posted on the front page
of the New York Times.  If you email from work, your employer may
intercept it, and this has been proven a few times in U.S. courts to be
legal.  If you email from anywhere else, it's just plain text and can be
intercepted.  This is NOT just for FreeLists: this is for email in
general, as it is not as private as you might think. :)

Kristina