[freelists-users] Re: Suspicious incoming mail to my account

  • From: Steven Horst <shorst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 11:48:53 -0500

I don't know about what methods may be used for archiving your list, but I
have been surprised in the past to find that messages I've sent to other
lists could turn up (in archived form) through a web search engine.

In one case, someone working on a product like the one we just released
(which is the one for which we have a Freelists list) discovered our
existence in this way.  (I hasten to add that it was NOT through any
Freelist postings, but through the NUG for 4th Dimension users.)  In this
case it was interesting for both of us to realize that there was someone
else working on the same new category of product, and I don't think any
trade secrets were compromised.  But it's worth knowing that things you
post to what you think of as a private list may not be as private as you
assume.

Again, I don't know whether you could find Freelist-based postings in this
way, nor whether there is any way to keep archives from being accessible by
search engines.

(Shameless marketing plug, as we just started selling 24 hours ago:  If
you're in higher ed or otherwise keep a stack of research notes, you can
check out the above-mentioned product -- NoteWorthy Virtual Notecards(tm)
at our website... http://www.intelli-gents.com.)

Steven Horst, Ph.D.
Founder, President and Chief Software Architect
IntelliGents, LLC -- Essential Software for the Academic Community

400 Plaza Middlesex #338
Middletown, CT 06457
mailto:shorst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.intelli-gents.com