[freelists-users] Re: Subscribing to lists on the FreeList web site

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:20:23 -0500

> Wanting to tell them how they can sign up for lists from the FreeList
> site, I went on my self to refresh my memory.

I would say that the easiest thing for you to tell them is to send email
to LISTNAME-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the desired command ("subscribe",
"unsubscribe", "set digest", "unset vacation", etc) in the subject or
body.  (Tell them subject, it's easier that way.)

> It seems that a new visitor must log in by giving the Email address and
> leave the password blank,then has to await for the server to send a
> password code. Until they get that confirmation, they can't look at the
> list of lists or subscribe?

That's correct.  It'll happen immediately though.  But that code is needed
to ensure that you are who you say you are.

> I couldn't find anything on the Free List home page that explains this.
> It's actually a little hard to figure out how to look at the names of
> lists one might want to use, except for the categorized list.  If you're
> looking for a list by name, to subscribe, that categorized list is not
> the easiest place to find it.
>
> Am I missing something?

No, unfortunately, you're not missing anything.  Usability of the site is
something that's been on our minds for a long time now, and it's brought
about plans for a site re-design, as well as a totally-rewritten web
interface that will combine the two existing web interfaces.

Of course, usability is only one of the problems: documenting everything
is time-consuming, and often not the highest priority.  See
//www.freelists.org/help/ for what we do have at the moment.  Anyone
willing to contribute documentation to the site, please feel free to do
so. :)  We'll catch up with it eventually, but since a lot of it is
changing with the new site design and all, little will be put up until
after that's all in place.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA