[freelists-users] Status of server outage

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 08:10:53 -0500

As many of you may have noticed from the front page, we've been having
server troubles this afternoon.  The main server's hard disk crashed
(badly), and a fair amount of data was lost.

Backups are performed, but the last backup wasn't any good, so I had to go
back to one done on 8/24, which leaves us with over a week of missing
data.  I'm currently reconstructing what I can, and I'm taking steps to
make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen again.

I'll be adding the lists, one-by-one, back onto the server from email
records stored on my workstation.  Any users that have subscribed since
8/24 will have to be resubscribed/unsubscribed.  Any lists that have been
added since 8/24 will have to start from scratch.  However, with the web
interface (more on that in a minute), you can reconstruct your subscriber
list from the email records of who was subscribed/unsubscribed.

The web interface still isn't working, but will be up soon.  You'll have
to login without a password to get an authorization string, as you did the
first time you logged in.  Set your password then, and everything should
be fine.

I'll be adding the lists back in this afternoon, and I'll post another
message when everything is back to "normal."

Sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA