[freelists-users] Re: Escaping special characters

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 08:28:27 -0500 (EST)

> 1
> Messages from one user (for now) display messages
> with diacritics characters escaped.
> For example:    =3DBFTrados=3D2C Transit o D=3DE9j=3DE0 Vu=3D3F
> instead of:     =BFTrados- Transit o D=E9j=E0 Vu?
> Any idea or advice for my subscriber?

This is probably quoted-printable stuff (non-English-speaking individuals
on your list(s)?  See below...

> 2
> Also: What is the effect of "humanize-quotedprintable"?
> Do it avoid the escaping of the titles in the digest?
> It is advisable to set it to ON if using 8-bit char set?

humanize-quotedprintable is turning those quoted-printable characters into
normal characters -- tun that one on.  You may also have to set
humanize-mime=3Dno, but don't do that one unless you have to, as it'll allo=
attachments (bad, bad, bad).

> 3 For info:
> An old question (Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 11:57:21 -0500)
> about double check-boxes applies also to my list config
> for option: "archive-world-readable"
> (the option has checkboxes on both sides :)

The double checkbox thing has to do with how the variable is interpreted
as being a global/default setting.  (I think they're confusing, and
they'll hopefully be removed from future versions of the web interface.)

John