[freelists-users] Re: Equals signs in posted messages

  • From: Gabriele Santilli <g.santilli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: John Madden <freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:25:34 +0200

Hi John,

You wrote:

JM> Ecartis doesn't do any line wrapping work, unless it's part of mime
JM> translation a la humanize-quotedprintable.

I  know  what  is  happening because I have this problem on all my
lists,  since in the italian language we use accented vowels (such
as àèéìòù) and they get encoded in quoted-printable by the default
configuration  of  most  email clients. The problem is that either
Ecartis  or  some  other  MTA in-between (all messages suffer from
this  problem,  so  if  it's an in-between MTA it must be one that
processes all messages coming to Ecartis) is incorrectly stripping
out  the  Content-Transfer-Encoding  header  (without decoding the
content).

This  makes  both  quoted-printable and base64 encoded messages to
not  be  decoded  by  MUAs,  because they lack the above-mentioned
header.  The  only  solution I found so far is to tell my users to
set  their  email  client to send emails as 8-bit instead of QP or
Base64.  However,  it  would  be  really nice if Freelists handled
messages correctly... :-)

Regards,
   Gabriele.
--