[freelists-users] Re: Archive your list at Yahoogroups

  • From: Linda Johnson <linda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 13:20:18 -0400

<<and leave the archives public. >>

Guess I got a problem with leaving the archives public also.  And, even
if you aren't a member of yahoo, you still have to wade thru all the
damn advertisements when you search the archives.

Plus, I never found the search feature in yahoo archives to work very
well. You have to search each page of the archives separately and it
takes forever.  I never had any luck at searching there.  I think the
freelist's search feature works much better on the archives....it
searches the whole archives at one shot and actually finds results.  In
all the yahoo groups I'm in, a lot of the posts begin with "I tried
searching the archives for this but couldn't find it...", so what good
are archives if half the people can't find anything in them?

I think the problem is the yahoo archives don't function like true
archives.  True archives are not for reading and replying...they are for
searching, and that's what the freelists archives do.  Yahoo archives
are used more like a forum....and that's what people miss.

Linda
Publisher ~ ABC ~ All 'Bout Computers
Owner ~ Linda's Computer Stop
http://personal-computer-tutor.com