[freelists-users] Re: Alphabetical order of e-mail names?

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:40:27 -0500

> Is there a way (without unsubscribing all..  then resubscribing in
> order) to make the viw list of subscribers show them in alphabetical
> order...    and also, without having to build and manage another
> database/list somewhere.. can you assing a name/phonenumber/anything to
> an e-mail address to help me remember that jxxx@xxxxxxx might be JIM
> instead of JOHN or JOE?

There isn't currently a way of alphabetizing the user list automatically.
However, that's a commonly-requested feature for Listar (along with
alphabetizing the list of lists), so I imagine it'll be in the next
release.  If I weren't so bogged-down with re-writing the Administrator
Login, I'd gladly write up a perl script to do it behind the scenes, but
it could only be done once a day, and since it'd interfere with the way
things are done with Listar's files, it'd be a "dangerous" thing to do.

As for storing anything other than the user's real name (which can be done
currently from the user options screen), no, there is no way of storing
user-specific data.  I doubt this feature will be added, since it's not
relevant, in general, to managing mailing lists.  (I'll put it into the
TODO for the Administrator Login though.)

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA