[freedict] Re: Tons Of New Dictionaries?
- From: Karl Bartel <karl42@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: freedict@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 08:21:39 +0200
… a non-WikDict version exists: [...]
Is it worth consideration to somehow merge them?
The dictionaries are automatically generated from Wiktionary dumps (after a
lot of processing steps). Since Wiktionary sees a lot more activity than
FreeDict it makes sense not to edit them in our FreeDict repo, but
regularly regenerate the dictoinaries from more recent Wiktionary dumps.
Actually merging two different dictionaries will require
- license compatibility
- a lot of work (automating a good merge is not trivial; you quickly get
lots of duplicates due to minor differences)
- continuous work to keep the merged dictionary better then either original
source in the long run
So if someone has a good plan on doing that and is willing to spend the
work, it's a great thing. But until someone steps up and shows promising
results, we should assume this is not going happen in the near future.
Other related posts: