[freedict] Re: New dictionaries ita-srd / srd-ita

  • From: Piotr Bański <bansp@xxxxx>
  • To: freedict@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2018 17:02:29 +0100

Hi Andrea and welcome :-)

I would suggest to start small, that is to create a minimally complex dictionary that you could later extend in various ways. That will give you (a) a usable product, (b) sense of completion, (c) it will not bury you under the issues of lexicographic description.

I'd say, select one of the existing databases with light grammatical markup (try to restrict yourselves to part-of-speech, if you can), and go ahead. I don't know what your background is, so I'm not sure how trivial the following is going to sound: begin with a word/lemma list. You could take it from a frequency list of some corpus of Italian/Sardinian (with appropriate cosmetics), and then cut according to a frequency threshold plus some grammatical conditions.

Or maybe you plan to take an existing dictionary, like ita-eng (I haven't checked that one while writing this, so it's not an informed recommendation), and handle "the other side", by more-or-less substituting Sardinian for English. Then you could reverse it and clean/enrich the reversed database.

HTH.

Good luck,
   Piotr

On 01/07/18 15:25, Andrea Maccis wrote:

Hi everyone.

I and a few friends are thinking to create two new dictionaries:

italian - sardinian
sardinian - italian

We are still reading the documentation, but I think we are going to start soon.
Any advices?

Thanks!

Andrea

--