[freedict] Re: Fwd: a Tibetan verb dictionary I have written

  • From: Piotr Bański <bansp@xxxxx>
  • To: freedict@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 02:54:21 +0100

Dear Nathan,

This is big -- thank you very much!

Would you kindly specify the license under which you would like to place the dictionary? Without a free license attached, we can't do much with a dataset, because its legal status isn't clear -- in particular, it is not clear that we are allowed to distribute it.

It would also be great to have a few sentences about how the dictionary was created, if only to put them in the header (= description of / introduction to the dictionary) for the interested users to understand some lexicographic choices and possibly to be able to turn to you for discussion.

Also, I found it curious that you have used the BulTreeBank/CLaRK to create or at least render the dictionary -- was that a choice dictated by e.g. a cooperation between SOAS and BTB, or a more or less random move?

I have tried to open the dictionary with my default XML editor, but it was a bit of a disaster, the editor got totally confounded by 'non-standard' characters and long lines. I don't have any others handy because I'm travelling with only a small notebook. At the same time, a browser signalled to me that the XML is not fully well-formed. Hence my question: does this dataset exist in a different form, which could be more sympathetic to standard XML tools? Maybe we could (re)start there?

Thanks again for the generous donation and best wishes,

   Piotr

On 14/02/2020 00:59, Nathan Hill wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

I have just signed up to this list and don't really know what I am doing. Anyhow, I am a technically inept person with a keen interest in lexicography. I have myself compiled a Tibetan verb dictionary that I would like to donate to you.

https://github.com/tibetan-nlp/lexicon-of-tibetan-verb-stems

It is already available in xml, but not in TEI. I attach it to this message. I also have a digitized version of Sarat Chandra Das' Tibetan-English dictionary, which is in the public domain.

best,
Nathan

--
Dr Nathan W. Hill
Reader in Tibetan and Historical Linguistics

FreeDict - Free And Open Dictionaries