[freeciv.de] Re: [freeciv-data] Re: New techs in history ruleset

  • From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:47:16 +0100

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 05:38:48PM -0700, Ammon Lauritzen wrote:
> Christian Knoke wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 02:37:53PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>can somebody - maybe the creator - please explain in simple words,
> >>what the new techs "milling" and "riflery" stand for?
> >>
> >>I want to know before I translate it.
> >>
> >>I'm also curious about the motivation of these; the history ruleset
> >>seems to me not finished work.
> >>
> >>Christian
> >
> >Anyone who can explain "riflery" and "milling"?
> >
> Well, I don't know if this is what you are looking for,

Yes, it is, exactly :-)

> but rifling is
> the process of boring the inside of a gun's barrel into a screw pattern
> so the bullet spins as it is fired, thus going straighter.

Yes, I had been guessing, but wasn't sure at all. Thank you.

> To me, the
> word riflery simply sounds like the skill of being able to fire a rifle
> (as in archery).

Yes, but now when it comes to technology, this sounds a bit ridiculous.
I guess the ruleset author refers to the ability to produce rifles.

I wonder whether you can call this a "technology", still.

> Milling as pertains to agriculture would be the process of turning grain
> into flour. Milling as regards industry would be the process of either
> grinding, polishing, or stamping metal.

Respecting the position in the ruleset, the latter. I think you can call
it "Metallbearbeitung" in german.

> Ammon

Christian

--