Re: [ZossPens] Passing of Dennis Bowden - Parkville Pen

  • From: "Roger Beamon" <rbeamon1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 18:37:12 -0700

This is a great loss to the community. My sincere condolences to his family. He
was truly one of the good guys, and little more can be said of someone.

RIP Dennis.

  Talk about shock. Dennis and I have been emailing all week regarding some
Bexley Giants I'm selling for a pen friend.

  Dennis and I go back to "the day" before he had his business. He was the
consummate teacher and researcher and he guided me through my early years of
getting my feet wet in both pen buying and selling.

  I think we started out in the "business" end of pens about the same time.
(2003'ish or so) He was so proud of Parkville Pens and rightly so. We met only
once face-to-face but had many phone and email conversations over the years. He
always talked so lovingly of his beloved wife Madelyn, especially when he was
recovering from surgery and such a few years ago. His character was such that
he never complained a lick about any of the things he had to endure as he
recovered.

  In particular I remember an instance where Dennis was just home from surgery
and getting back into his email correspondence. He had sold a sailor (Navy)
friend of mine a Bexley pen and I had shipped it to him along with some other
items via armed forces mail. For whatever reason, the  box never made it. My
friend was a cop (shore patrol) in Iraq and it's likely that his box was
sitting in some warehouse somewhere.

  Anyway to make a short story even longer, Dennis replaced the pen, and he
wouldn't take a penny from me, and he even shipped it express.

  And I can't even count the free legal advice I got from him so many times.

  I could go on, but I'll be glad to add to a memorial gift for Dennis' family.

  I'll miss you Dennis. Keep my seat dry, my ink bottle full and my pen filled
until we meet up.

  Blessings
  Jim Sanders
  Tucson