Re: Survey What number of member collects Parker over Waterman?

  • From: Bruce Grembowski <grembowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:13:52 -0800 (PST)

Roger,
Interesting smorgasbord of collections, but I don't think shooting and wine
mix--I hear they test for alcohol as a banned substance in shooting events!

I also have a lot of appreciations.  What I do with wine and cigars, I wouldn't
call collecting, but aging to perfection before consuming :-)

I recently became interested in target and trap shooting.   Then I found out
that I don't have the steadiness to do it.

When I started collecting in earnest, I decided to stick with Waterman.  Now
that I have a decent example of all but the most expensive vintage offerings, I
find myself wanting to keep some of the P51 and snork sets I've picked up,
instead of just reselling them right away.

Maybe it's because when I go to the PDX Pen Club meetings, they don't have any
new Waterman's, and I *need* to spend some money, so I look at what else is
available, within my budget.

In fact, I recently purchased my first Pelikan and Sailor.  Okay, so the Sailor
is "new" and the Pelikan is not quite vintage (ca.1970's), but I do have an old
Conway Stewart #388, which was actually my first vintage pen!

So, maybe a year from now, I'll be more like:
Waterman: 40%
Sheaffer: 20%
Parker:   20%
Misc:     20%

TTFN,
Grem

--- Roger Beamon <rbeamon1@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Grem,
>
> I understand how each marque appeals to different people. My interest in the
> "51"s is with how terribly good their technology was and still is. If that
> was all
> for me, I'd be a happy sort of collector of "51"s and that would be the end
> of
> it. BUT, Old F--t  that I am, I remember all the great, now vintage pens of
> the
> 40s and 50s even though I wasn't interested then.
>
> NOW, it's very different. I bought a garden variety Snorkel Admiral (but in
> near mint condition) just before our little chowder and marching group went
> to Japan, shipped it to Rick Horne for a seal rehab and had it shortly after
> we
> returned from the land of the rising sun. What a neat, functional and great
> writing pen it is. Just as terrific but in a different way as the "51"s that
> covet.
>
> I can't really choose between them in a meaningful way, as they are both
> great, reliable writers with nothing but good surrounding them. So, at the
> upcoming LA Pen show I'll be scouting for Snorks to even up the
> accumulation. Between this newbie's fascination with those staples from the
> Parker and Sheaffer camps, maybe I'll just stumble onto a deal on some
> underloved example of the Urushi and Maki-e work that we marveled at in
> Japan.
>
> Damn, I used to have such normal hobby interests like Amateur Radio, Wine
> appreciation and collecting, trap shooting, and competitive pistol and rifle
> shooting. Have I sunk to a new low or risen to new heights?!
>
> --
> Roger Beamon
> Southern Arizona  USA
in the Subject field. The email that you then receive MUST be replied to per
instructions to complete the process.