New Disk Drive Using Fountain Pen Technology?

  • From: Bruce Grembowski <grembowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, FPC Yahoo <fountainpencollecting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 15:54:11 -0700 (PDT)

An article about a new "perpendicular" hard drive from Hitatchi from CNET
News.com caught my eye this morning.  The article states, in part:

"The drive sports a read head--sort of like a needle on a phonograph
arm--composed of iridium, manganese, chromium and a minute amount of ruthenium.
Iridium and manganese anchor the read head's internal magnet in a more stable
fashion than the platinum-manganese alloy often used in drives from other
manufacturers, Hitachi said."

It immediately reminded me of fountain pen tipping material.  The full story is
available here:

http://news.com.com/Hitachi+stresses+chemistry+on+perpendicular+drives/2100-1041_3-6071932.html?tag=sas.email

or here:  http://tinyurl.com/ly565

TTFN,
Grem
in the Subject field. The email that you then receive MUST be replied to per
instructions to complete the process.