[foxboro] v8.7 breaks the Common Alarm Group, just like v.8.4.3

  • From: "Lowell, Timothy" <Timothy.Lowell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:38:27 -0500

We are upgrading from v.8.4.2 to v8.7 at one of our sites, and we've found out
that as soon as you put a v.8.7 box on the MESH, all the other v.8.4.2 machines
lose their Common Alarm Group functionality. This makes for some very unhappy
console operators who have to silence each alarm at every console in the group,
right in the middle of a very stressful shutdown.
Luckily, we have a small army of Invensys folks on site, and one of them
unearthed QF1047977b from deep in the bowels of the support web site (after
another two service guys and I missed it). This has (we think) fixed the
problem, at least as of now.

This is EXACTLY the same problem that happened when you upgraded from v.8.2,
8.3, 8.4, 8.4.1 or 8.4.2  to v.8.4.3. You would think someone at Invensys would
test this and fix it before they released v8.7, or at least check it and let us
know in the v.8.7 release notes. You would be wrong. A customer had to discover
this problem and create a CAR, and this QF was released on 4/2/12. Of course,
you can't download it from the usual QF search page. The Invensys guy did an
unorthodox search and happened to find it on a totally different page.

Happy upgrading!

Thanks,
Tim Lowell
Tesoro