Re: [foxboro] the term "UNIX bigots"

  • From: "Blunier, Mark" <Mark.Blunier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:35:51 -0600

> On Behalf Of Johnson, Alex
>=20
> Re: the term "UNIX bigots"
>=20
> Personally, I find the term offensive.

As one of the unix bigots (or Linux bigots), I don't mind
being called one.  Some people may intend it to be an insult,
but I am not ashamed of it, and don't take it that way.

> I think it denigrates=20
> those of our customers who find that part of our offering
> to be the one that best meets their needs and it de-humanizes
> our customers and their needs. I implies that the speaker
> thinks the user of that technology doesn't understand their
> own needs.

I suppose it depends on person, but I'm not shy about telling
people what I think.  I'd much prefer to be told I'm a unix
bigot, and thus infer that my opinion is held in less regard
than be told that my opinion is 'very important' when (at
least on the subject this I/A platform development) its not.

>=20
> I will not tolerate the usage of the term by Invensys folks.
>=20
>=20
> Re: I believe he (Alex) thinks the "UNIX Bigots", (and I mean=20
> that in the
> nicest possible way everyone), should be more accepting of=20
> the new Windows
> based apps. =20

It was not Alex that used the term.

Mark