Re: [foxboro] remote_dm

  • From: Ron Deen <r.deen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 19:10:24 +0200

You may recommend that, although humbly of course ;-),  but there is a catch
however.

The standard "ia" account utilizes the "bourne- shell" and as a result also
always processes the .profile file.. Executing the "go_dm" will in this
 case follow the execution of the .profile which can lead to undesired
results.
If "moving" the .profile to go_dm is a problem because of the other users it
may be a better idea to create similar users like ia_remote etc. which will
all have their own home directory, just like the "ia" user has /opt/ia for a
home.
We have sometimes done this to have one remote ia user have "root" privileges
while with the standard other one  the operator has access to, has the usual
limited access. So we ended up with a directory /opt/ia and one
with /opt/iaroot. A different use but the idea can be used i guess.

Hope this helps, apologies if I missed the point or misunderstood (it's
weekend yeah!)

Best regards

Ron Deen