Re: [foxboro] dual-headed Linux box as operator workstation

  • From: Ron Deen <r.deen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 20:42:43 +0100

Having just a little experience with Linux as an Xterminal it has proven
relatively easy to set up. For a dual headed configuration you would
need to go for Xfree4.0x because this is the first Xfree which supports
dual head configs.

 >>A little snippet from the release notes of Xfree4.1:
http://www.xfree.org/4.1.0/RELNOTES5.html#21

Some multi-head configurations are supported in XFree86 4.x, primarily
with multiple PCI/AGP cards. However, this is an area that is still
being worked on, and we expect that the range of configurations for
which it works well will increase in future releases. A configuration
that is known to work well in most cases is multiple (supported) Matrox
cards.

One of the main problems is with drivers not sufficiently initialising
cards that were not initialised at boot time. This has been improved
somewhat with the INT10 support that is used by most drivers (which
allows secondary card to be "soft-booted", but in some cases there are
other issues that still need to be resolved. Some combinations can be
made to work better by changing which card is the primary card (either
by using a different PCI slot, or by changing the system BIOS's
preference for the primary card).

<<
So expect yourself to get cosy with the manuals when it does not work
the first time.

You may want to consider Sun's Solaris 8 for the Intel PC platform. We
did and it was fun. It's a free download,  looks like a "real" WP51 when
you choose the non default Openwin manager and not the CDE that is
offered at installation time. Not enough time to figure out how to get
things configured automatically though. The fonts directory from Foxboro
can be mounted so there is no hassle with Font conversion or missing
stuff when you have made changes to some Foxboro markers and things like
that.
We where very impressed how fast it was and how "clean" the desktop looked.
I haven't tried dual head configurations but I know Solaris 2.5.1 was
already up to that ;-))

Solaris 8 is a bit picky when it comes to supported hardware. (it's in
fact extremely tolerant in not supporting a lot of hardware) but I think
the Matrox you mention is on the supported hardware list.

I will try to cover these "real Xterminal" subjects in the next version
of the Xterminal document.

Ron Deen (Foxboro)