Re: [foxboro] disabling sets

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:21:22 -0500

With OpenSSH, you can enforce running only a single command on login on
the *server* side; this is what we have done to prevent people from
getting any kind of shell access.  The good part about this is that you,
as a DCS admin, can control this irrespective of any IT anything.  We did
have to get a patch from Hummingbird/Opentext to make this work with
Exceed on Demand, as EoD by default insisted on running some kind of
command -- which the OpenSSH server, when configured this way, rightly
rejected.

I'm not sure if you can pass arguments to said command; we don't need to
in our installation.

We disable omsets in the /usr/fox/wp/data/[wp51|am]_cmds files based on
criteria determined by logic in the login script.

However, anyone with graphics building access and sufficient knowledge can
create a back door.  If you build all the graphics, you control that too,
but it's something to think about.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.

"Brown, Stanley" <stan.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
03/29/2010 08:06 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] disabling sets

Good point.

What I am planning to do is have the IT supplied terminal server connect
using ssh running a specific script. This is the direct analog of "rsh
script". I do not expect the user to ever see a prompt for this. Once this
script has been run, then the terminal server will run VNC to connect to
the appropriate connection. One of the reasons for this is because, since
the connection is from a terminal serve, all the connections come from the
same IP address.

The person working on this from the IT side assures me he can pass as an
argument to this script, what I will call, a session number. Thus I can
have VNC run on the appropriate point.

So, it looks like I can just have this script run the appropriate shell
command to disable omsets, right?