Re: [foxboro] Windsnows Question

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:06:14 -0500

+1.  We always have PCs in the control room for email, generating tags and
other documentation, etc.

This also makes me think again about thin-client solutions.  I suspect
that those thin-client boxes either don't have USB ports, or they can be
configured not to transmit back to the server :)

Corey

From:
"Russ Kaiser" <russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:
<foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
03/23/2011 03:19 PM
Re: [foxboro] Windsnows Question
Sent by:
foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Joking aside, at our facility a mouse will occasionally go bat-$#|+ and
the
operators will unplug it and plug it back in fixing the problem.  They
also
have access to the spare mice and keyboards.  The fact that they are
willing
to do this at 4 AM instead of calling me is very convenient.

We have also given them a computer (off the control network) they can log
into individually with controlled internet access.  They know the sites
they
visit are monitored, and many types of sites are blocked, and they behave
accordingly.  If they want to slip a thumb drive into the computer and
show
their fellow operators the fish they caught on their last vacation they
can.
They all have plenty of work to do and for the most part I don't think
anyone abuses these privileges - division of labor and peer pressure would
prevent it.  The computer is running antivirus of course and they can't
install software.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to trust.  I know some of you probably
operate in facilities where regulations or the product you are making
makes
this arrangement impossible, but if you don't, you might try it.  Giving
them a computer keeps them from messing with the control system boxes.

Russ