Re: [foxboro] What causes System Alarms and What doesn't??

  • From: "Hicks, Gaylon F." <gfhicks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:01:43 -0400

Hi Gary,

Are you using your horn.cfg file to drive an external annuciator on a system
alarm?  If so, and you are running you System Monitor on a 50 or 70 series
box, you can get Quick Fix
QF990104B.  This QF will make a CP going single a system alarm.  The short
description of this QF is

"Changes were made to the System Monitor process, "smon_ech". If the file
/usr/fox/sysmon/ftblink_red.cx is present and one side (or both sides) of
Fault Tolerant station fails, the SYS bar will fail red"

This should take care of your problem.  We unfortunately can't do this.  We
are running our System Monitors on PWs (20 series), and Foxboro won't
implement this QF for the 20 series (I've written a CAR and gotten the
standard nicely worded "No" answer).  What we do is have a script file that
looks at recent system monitor messages every 6 hours, parses the messages
for scary keywords (such as "Single", "Reboot", etc.), and emails myself and
several other engineers if there are any hits.  Give me a call or email off
list if you want a copy of these scripts or any other information.  This is
something that will be well received (I hope) when INPO comes to visit.

I completely agree that is pretty silly to have a printer out-of-paper
alarm, but not a loss of fault-tolerance alarm.

Thanks,

Gaylon Hicks
TVA - Browns Ferry