Re: [foxboro] Triconex & Foxboro Questions

  • From: "Pablo Lioi" <plioi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:54:30 +0200

Tom,

We have 2 small I/A-Triconex systems and a medium-size one with redundant
ACMinterfaces (3 separate systems).

In the small systems we have several peer-to-peer links between the ACM and
some GW30 processors. These systems are installed in off-shore oil &gas
platforms. The problem we have here is that when we have a power failure and
the system de-energizes, upon restart peer-to-peer conections are broken.
Theonly way to restore these connections is checkpointing all the
processors.Sometimes there is no tech personnel available at the platforms,
so we implemented some screen buttons that allow the platform operator to
checkpoint the processors one by one. A work-around, but not a clean
solution.

In the medium-size system we had a different problem: repetitive "Nodebus
Cable" alarms, slow communications,foxview timeouts, and sometimes complete
loss of communications, only restored after recycling power to the system.
Foxboro personnel reinstalled the system completely (AW and WP's), applied
the latest quickfixes and processor images, etc. AND PULLED OUT ONE OF THE
ACM's, LEAVING ONLY ONE IN OPERATION. After this we never had the timeouts
again and the number of "Nodebus Cable" alarms went down dramatically.
According to my information, the redundancy functions of the ACM are
implemented not through the Triconex backplane but through the I/A node,
which might be the source of the problem. We never pushed the second ACM
backin place, so you may argue that I cannot be sure this was the cause of
our problems. OK, but I cannot risk having to stop the plant again so that a
Foxboro product starts communicating with another Foxboro product again.

We have been using the ACM's for the last 3 years.

As regards as Triconex modules failures:

I've had field-related module "failures". But when you replace a module and
the new module never fails again, and the old one does, you know for sure
that the problem is in the module.
I've had failures in HDAI modules, SDI modules, one 3006 processor and
several ENHANCED ISOLATED ANALOG INPUT modules. In all cases, the error
description doesn't help much (for example, "Sanity test failed" or "Integer
value (something I don't remember)"), I couldn't find any further detail in
the manuals and the only recommended action is "replace module".

Tired of these failures, I decided to have a look inside the module with the
highest failure rate: the 3703E ENHANCED ISOLATED ANALOG INPUT module. To my
surprise, I found that it only has 3 A/D converters multiplexed for the 16
channels. (Previouly I had been convinced that they had 3 A/D per channel).
For each A/D converter they have one DC/DC power supply and apparently, one
of them was broken, so all channels are affected.
I also found other things. For example, it looks as if the PCB had some
mistake in 8 trails connecting 8 pins of 2 IC's. So they cut the trails in
the PCB and connected the ICs with small isolated wires (and after that
gluedthe cables to the IC's and motherboard so that they don't move).

Regards

Pablo Lioi

From:  <tom.vandewater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:  <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>