Re: [foxboro] Timer Question

  • From: "Doucet, Terrence" <tdoucet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:20:00 -0400

Matt,

You might want to ignore IDLE time for the CP's.  You do not see the =
total of CPLOAD + IDLE =3D 100 very often. =20

Guidelines recommend 60 max for Fieldbus load and 80 Max for Total =
CPLOAD. If you can get to these values, you should be OK.

But the real truth lies in CP overruns. You really want the integrator =
reading zero at all times. Maybe if you are doing an engineering =
function like ICC and you exit which causes a CHECKPOINT you could allow =
a count or two on the overrun.

You can grab the CP60 loading spreadsheet (Excel) from EDOC or the Fox
Web site if you have a contract.  The Excel will allow you to do a=20
"what if" analysis without actually changing block periods or phases in =
the CP60 until the Excel says your loading is OK.

The Excel for CP60 should be pretty darn close to what you see in the =
running CP. If you have a lot of sequence blocks you might have to play =
with the Excel defaults.

If you slow down all blocks on a particular input IO card, you should =
actually change the period of the corresponding ECB so that the IO =
integration period matches your AIN period. Try to eliminate aliasing.

If you phase your control loops (AIN, PIDA, AOUT) watch that you do not =
accidentally change the order of block processing and add an extra =
period of delay.

The OM overruns are a different matter.  If you have no peer connections =
for control loops or shutdown control, you may be able to accept a few =
OM overruns per day. This usually means a delay in Historian receiving =
data changes or CRT screens being delayed in their updates. In most CP's =
the OM overrun is less critical. But there may be cases where OM =
overruns are totally unacceptable, too.

Terry