Re: [foxboro] Substitution lists

  • From: "Grumelart, Alain" <agrumela@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 17:13:42 -0500

Tim

You can put substitution patterns in the static text portion of your text
object,
that will cause FoxView to display the substituted text (in your example,
the C:B.P name).
You an also configure a dynamic update or an operator action for your text
object
and put the substitution pattern in the object field;
then, when you call-up the display via the substitution file,
the substitution string will replace the pattern.

In your example, if you configure a text contents connection and type
<VAL1>______________ in the object field the text object would display the
value of the C:B.P
rather than its name.

If you configured a relative pick action with <VAL1>________________ in the
object field and changed the line in your substitution file as follows:
<VAL1>==PICK1 COMP:BLOCK1.PARAM
then, when you select the text field on the display, the action will store
the
C:B.P name in the PICK1 variable.
You could then have a button that calls a trend overlay that connect to
$PICK1.
I think this is what you are trying to do.

Of course there are other ways of doing this, once you understand the
principle,
you can make this as complex as you want.
Make sure you put enough trailing underscores in your patterns to
accommodate
the size of the string after the substitution, otherwise the substitution
strings
will be truncated and the connection won't work.

A word of warning ...
You should keep in mind that displays with substitution patterns never
optimize.
i.e. FoxView will always broadcast over the network to find the address of
the compound.
This may or may not be an issue depending on how much your network is
already loaded,
how much your CPs are loaded and how frequently the displays are used.
Remember that every CP and GW is adversely affected by a broadcast.

Substitution files are great to implement reusable displays but they do
carry a price
in terms of performance and overhead.

Hope this helps

Alain Grumelart Ing.