Re: [foxboro] Statically linking C programs

  • From: "William C Ricker" <wcricker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 18:06:31 -0400

Funny you should mention ....

Right here at our shop we have been having the same discussion this
past week.

Our main AW machine used to have a gcc/g++ version that was
version 2.9something.  We recently upgraded it to 3.4something and
much to our chagrin we found that same library distribution problem.

The older gcc/g++ didn't usually need libraries to be distributed with
the executables it made.

We are now looking at going back to an earlier gcc/g++.  Unfortunately, the
only ones that seem to be available on the net all are new enough to have
this library problem.  That includes the 2.95.3 we downloaded last week.
So its back to the CD library to find the right one.

As for static linking, well, this is Solaris.  Static linking gcc/g++
stuff on Solaris 2.5.1 is apparently a bit of a bear.  There are a couple
of decent discussions of this on the web and they seem to agree that its
a lot of work without a sure success.  For my money, it doesn't seem to be
worth the effort. Either we will get an older compiler loaded, or we will
start including libraries with out software distribution sets.

Maybe, Mr. Johnson, you would like a copy when I find it?  It is all GNU
licensed stuff so redistribution is quite acceptable.

Regards,
William C Ricker
FeedForward, Inc.