Re: [foxboro] Software Install workaround?

  • From: Corey R Clingo <clingoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 13:10:00 -0500

I see the reasons for having Install_[AW|WP], as Alex and Russ mentioned.
But the installer tends to mangle things it doesn't need to, like my
custom printer configuration.  So I too tend to of examine the tar file
and manually install the files if it is easy to do (e.g., for the several
FBM firmware QFs I did recently).  I keep my QFs in a text file so I know
what I put on, since that function in the installer is no longer accurate.

Corey Clingo
BASF Corp.

"Boulay, Russ" <russ.boulay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
10/26/2005 12:38 PM
Please respond to foxboro

              To:  "'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'"
              cc:
         Subject:       Re: [foxboro] Software Install workaround?

Alex's assessment is correct.....

With this particular QF we had the ability to just tar in because no other
"magic" was needed....i.e...load_sta's pre and post inits..etc.

Also the standard procedure eliminates the human error as many users in
the
past tar to the wrong directory and then report that the QF didn't fix
their
problem.