Re: [foxboro] Software Install failure

  • From: Corey R Clingo <corey.clingo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:02:05 -0500

Drat...ninja'd again... :)

But I like Tim's enhancement of having to only run the commit on one box
and have it propagate to other stations automatically.

Corey

"Lowell, Timothy" <Timothy.Lowell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: foxboro-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
08/27/2010 11:48 AM
Please respond to
foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"'foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [foxboro] Software Install failure

Russ,

Here's what I want: to be able to commit a Windows box (or Unix box, I
guess, although we don't have many of those left) without having to use
ANY software media at all.  No diskette, no USB drive, nothing.  Just a
file (or files) that I transfer from the SysDef machine to my Mesh machine
over a network.  Then, I run a program (without re-booting would be nice,
but hey, this IS Windows we're talking about), and the commit process
happens and it's done.

Even better - the process for updating the system files is integrated into
the architecture, and when I make a change to the system, it gets
broadcast to all stations on the Mesh automatically.

This way, when we have to change the Master Time Keeper to load a GPS
time-synch system, for example, your service guys don't have to schlep a
version 8.x CD and a floppy disk all over the refinery and load it 30
times, with everybody crossing their fingers that all 30 installations
work.

Tim