Re: [foxboro] Short FBI Experience

  • From: tom.vandewater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:16:43 -0500

Gaylon,
        We still have a bunch of the old style, (short) FBI's in service as
well as the newer, (long), ones.  We also have a large installed base of the
old, (short), FBM's that are of 1988/1989 vintage.  The form factor change
happened with FBM's sometime around 1991-92 time frame and I thought it was
more about better heat disipation than power issues, but I can't speak with
authority on that.  I bet some of the Foxboro guys can answer why the design
was changed.
        We have had pretty good luck with all of the FBM's and FBI's in
terms of reliability and have been tracking failure rates looking for a
signal that tells us we are approaching end of life.  We had a lot of infant
mortality in 1989-90 timeframe but since that time those modules have been
quite reliable.  The past two times we have needed to do EEprom updates on
the FBM's we have experienced increasingly higher failures to EEprom
successfully and we see this as a potential end of life signal.  We have
also experienced more failures during the very rare occasions that we power
down the FBM's and then reapply power.
        We have just started a ten year upgrade plan to replace the 100
series FBM's with 200 series because we know that all electronic components
will eventually fail.  We feel that 16 years of continuous service is
probably pushing it and it will cost us a bunch of money if we start having
regular failures of IO, some of which will cause down-time.  Of course all
of this also means that we will need to change out CP-30's and 40's to
something that can talk to the 200 series IO and although we already have
several CP-60's, I hate to spend new money on old technology so we will be
moving to ZCP-270's and the MESH network ASAA.

Tom VandeWater
Control Systems Developer/Analyst
Dow Corning Corporation
Carrollton, KY   USA