Re: [foxboro] Sanity check on Go Global

  • From: Ted Jirik <Ted.Jirik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:08:28 -0800

Tim,

Yes the ICC works exactly as it does on the local head. There are no resize
issues because VNC is running a second copy of the Open Look window manager
so the ICC removes the resize handles from the ICC window as well as any
other remote draw application's window. I don't have any problems with
missing buttons on a close/restore and save unders and backing store work
as expected.

I have not used this with FoxView but here is the setup for a Display Manager.

I am running the latest straight VNC for Solaris and have modified the Java
applet to allow access to the VNC session on the AW from a web browser.
This works very well too. I removed some of the buttons in the standard
Java applet to lock it down a bit for plant users.

The key for me was setting the Foxboro font path and also setting the
option '-cc 3' in the 'vncserver' script to force VNC to use PseudoColor
for proper operation of the blink task.

After that I modified the /.vnc/xstartup script to issue an xhost command
for my station and set the _FOX_WINMGR xprop. It then starts another Open
Look window manager and invokes a script to start the DM. The script starts
a blink task an execs a DM.

It is set up to run at boot time so the DM is always available. I have used
the stock VNC client and server as well as a variant named tightVNC which
has been modified to perform better on low bandwidth links such as dialup.

We have used this setup for about a year and it has worked well. It runs
slower across a LAN than a XServer running on a PC but it is faster across
dialup lines. We feel it provides an acceptable way to allow infrequent
users to access the system using a web browser or VNC client, and the price
is right.

Ted Jirik
Real Time Solutions, Inc.
Ted.Jirik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx