Re: [foxboro] Running Manual Cable Test - Automatically?

  • From: Kevin Fitzgerrell <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 12:16:16 +0800

Barry,
I'll echo Shawn and Brian's V7 experiences - in all the instances I've seen
where V7 systems experienced slowdowns that were fixed by running the cable
test (which is every V7 system I've worked with at some point) I've tracked
the issue down to an underlying fault.  Those faults have included crossed
A/B cables between devices and switches, crossed A/B cables at NCNI's and
"problem" RCNI's.  At one site, crossed cable issues persisted for months
after our fiber guys swore to me they'd confirmed everything until I gave
up and personally checked each and every core (finding multiple crossed
fibers).  RCNI problems were harder - I had one where the only V7 part of
the system was a single AW and RCNI - cables were perfect but kept having
occasional slowdowns which a cable check would fix.  Changing the RCNI
fixed the problem.  After finding that one I used that system to "confirm"
good RCNIs.

Does this V7 site have any V6.x pieces left or is it all V7?

Have you set up nfd_log and nfd_debug to see what faults the system thinks
it's getting?

Cheers,

Kevin