Re: [foxboro] RE : RE : RE : Barriers to migration to Windows

  • From: "Larsen, Ed" <ed.larsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 13:30:21 -0400

Kevin and all,

I have been using a Symantec product for at least 2 years to backup
/restore AW/WP70's with great success. We use Symantec Live State
Recovery. The package presented at User's Group is basically a newer
version.

We have a 2nd Ethernet network that connects all 100+ AW/WP70's in three
plant sites that are 5 miles from end to end. All the boxes
automatically backup once a week to a central server. This Server is a
Windows 2003 server with 2TB of Raid5 storage. It is also used as a
Print Server and a repository for McAfee updates. We have restored boxes
from Dell 340 - Dell 390 with no major issues. We have restored to the
same box and we have restored to a new box of the same hardware. No
difference. On the 380 and 390 we have to load the drivers during boot
of the Restore CD using the F6 process.  =

There is an issue on a V8 Mesh system. If a V8 Mesh AW/WP70 is restored
toi different hardware, it will not work properly on the Mesh because of
the different Mac Addresses of the Fiber NICS. It is easily corrected.
Either move the NICS form the old box, or use HH1104 to edit the
registry. If restored to the same hardware, no issues.

We have probably restored close to 100 times with no real issues other
than mentioned above. Almost all of the restoration is for
troubleshooting in a testbed or upgrade work.

A typical AW70 takes about 15-20 minutes for the backup to run. A WP
takes about 6 minutes. One of our historian boxes takes close to an
hour. These are HOT backups. The Operator has no clue it is backing up.
We restore over the network after booting the CD and setting IP address
on the box to be restored.

I believe the software is impressive, because I well remember the NT
days of wrestling a box away from an operator to back it up and praying
it would work after a restore and instead of weekly backups, I was lucky
to get it backed 2-4 times a year. =

Just my $0.02.